Thursday, April 12, 2012

Holy Week 2012

While others enjoyed the waves of the ocean, drove out of town or flew out of the country for Holy Week, my family and I spent it the only way we do year after year -- at Church. I'm not complaining. To give you a piece of my mind, I really think Holy Week should be spent at church. But I have nothing against those people who choose to go in vacations because maybe they find spiritual renewal that way and, we should respect that.


Holy Week is a time to be reminded of Jesus' life sacrifice for his love for us. A time of sacrifice. I did some sacrifices in the past years. It may be simple, easy, small or won't even make sense for some but, it truly means a lot to me. I still remember the first sacrifice I did -- a week not sleeping with my putchi (pillow). I couldn't sleep without it before but got over it eventually over the years. Another was during high school. I spent a week without a cellphone. It sounds lame now that I'm older, but not then. I itched to get my hands on my phone every single time it beeped. Well this year's sacrifice was different. In times of no scheduled mass in church, my brothers and I took turns staying at the Shrine of Senior Divino Tesoro. His fiesta is fast approaching and, novena sponsors and donations in all forms start to line up. Mrs. Lourdes S. Fernandez, the president of SDT Foundation, also our grandmother, used to receive these donations. She is too old to stay long at the shrine already that's why we volunteered to do it. The task was quite simple so to make it more meaningful, we donated as well - handkerchiefs, key chains and cellphone charms - with the intention of helping in spreading the miracles of Senior Divino Tesoro.



Mass is usually scheduled in the afternoon. We come to church early because a lot of people hear mass during this time. I always get amazed by the number of faithfuls arriving, but not this year. The church wasn't packed like how I expected it to be. We didn't even have a hard time looking for a vacant pew. Is this a sign of Catholics decreasing? Lack of faith? Laziness? Or maybe more opted for a vacation? Well, whatever the reason is, it really caught my attention.

One of the things I look forward to during this week are the stalls that stand beside the church. Sotanghon, pancit and halo-halo awaits after mass. For dessert/appetizer, nothing beats the super affordable hotcakes. (Look for Ate Vicky if you want your cakes hot from the pan) And of course, the star of every fete in Calasiao - PUTO - was found in every corner. It should never be missed out!





Like most families, Visita Iglesia is also a tradition we never fail to do. It's a Catholic practice where you visit 7 different churches to pray. Here are photos of the churches we went to:

Shrine of Our Lady of Manaoag in Manaoag, Pangasinan
Sts Peter and Paul Parish Church in Calasiao, Pangasinan
The Holy Family Church in Sta Barbara, Pangasinan
Sto. Tomas De Aquino Parish in Mangaldan, Pangasinan
St Joseph Church in Mapandan, Pangasinan
St John Cathedral in Dagupan, Pangasinan
It really doesn't matter where or how we spend Holy Week. What matters is that in whatever we do, we bear Jesus in our minds and hearts.

I hope you also had a meaningful Holy Week. :D

Photo Sources:
What's Up Dagupan
   -- Sto Tomas De Aquino Parish
   -- Sts Peter and Paul Parish
   -- Shrine of Our Lady of Manaoag
St Joseph Church

PS. I failed to look for a photo of the 6th church we went to in Bonuan, Pangasinan.

1 comment:

  1. hi ye!. just dropped by, Great blog! :D enjoy summer!
    -lyndale

    ReplyDelete